[SR-Users] Can Kamailio help with this?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at kamailio.open.source.it
Fri May 21 17:04:21 CEST 2021

On Friday 21 May 2021 at 16:53:40, Henning Westerholt wrote:

> Hello Antony,
>
> as written before, Kamailio is from its design and setup targeted to many
> different use cases. For certain use cases you find examples or tutorials
> in our wiki. But if the example fits to your case, is mostly a matter of
> luck and how common it is.

Well, I had at least expected to find some documentation on how to get it doing
something basic which is easy to test, but I'm still struggling to find such
guides.

Maybe I have the wrong idea about what's a simple setup, and I should learn
how to do what everyone else thinks is a simple place to start?

> The module documentation is indeed more in "reference" style, useful for
> somebody who knows how to combine the building blocks, but for a newcomer
> admittedly less useful.

I have no problem with that provided there's a guide to "where to specify your
modules".

> There exists a Kamailio book (refer to asipto.com) which might be useful
> for your situation. Here you will get a more broader picture about the
> different modules and how they can fit together.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> Another approach which some people are using is to start with the default
> configuration (which has a lot of comments) and experiment with e.g., a
> small server and 1-2 phones. For more advanced topics there exists many
> talks from past Kamailio World conferences.

I'm very happy to experiment - I have enough SIP phones to play with and I can
easily create an Asterisk VM as a server to register to and run a dial plan
on.

Thanks for the pointers.

Antony.

--
This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.