[SR-Users] IPv4 / v6 request to global parameter "TOS"

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 08:47:32 CET 2013

Hello,

there is a patch attempting to set the tos for IPv6:
-
http://git.sip-router.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi/sip-router/?a=commit;h=084be456bc0fab015cf9964ac85651fa60ea77c9

For now is only for UDP, but if it works I will propagate to tcp/tls.

I tested it compiles, but had no IPv6 testbed around. If anyone can test
and report back, will be appreciated.

On 3/25/13 1:40 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 3/22/13 9:50 PM, Klaus Feichtinger wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> in a bridging scenario with kamailio 3.3.4 and rtpproxy 1.2.1 for
>> bridging signalling and media from an IPv4 to an IPv6 network and
>> vice versa I found that the TOS value, which is set in kamailio.cfg,
>> is used for IPv4 packets only. IPv6 packets have the traffic class
>> value set to the default value 0x0. In other words: kamailio doesn´t
>> use this variable for IPv6 packets. In the cookbook
>> (http://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/3.3.x/core#tos) I haven´t
>> found any hint that it _is_ limited to IPv4 only ("...for the sent IP
>> packages").
>>
>> I know that the name "tos" may be misleading, as the original
>> definition was outdated by dscp+ecn, but it was/is working fine now.
>> However, as IPv6 is using dscp+ecn, too, I wonder if the tos variable
>> should support IPv6 packets, too.
>>
>> Could anybody give me a hint? Is there maybe an alternative way to
>> prioritise SIP in IPv6 with kamailio?
> Probably when it was added the IPv6 was no longer in the spot and
> developer didn't bother with it. If it uses more or less same
> interface to set it, then I guess it will not be hard to extend it to
> IPv6. Just add it to the tracker to be visible and not to get forgotten.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Kamailio World Conference, April 16-17, 2013, Berlin
  - http://conference.kamailio.com -