[SR-Users] IPv4 / v6 request to global parameter "TOS"

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:40:00 CET 2013

Hello,

On 3/22/13 9:50 PM, Klaus Feichtinger wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> in a bridging scenario with kamailio 3.3.4 and rtpproxy 1.2.1 for
> bridging signalling and media from an IPv4 to an IPv6 network and vice
> versa I found that the TOS value, which is set in kamailio.cfg, is
> used for IPv4 packets only. IPv6 packets have the traffic class value
> set to the default value 0x0. In other words: kamailio doesn´t use
> this variable for IPv6 packets. In the cookbook
> (http://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/3.3.x/core#tos) I haven´t
> found any hint that it _is_ limited to IPv4 only ("...for the sent IP
> packages").
>
> I know that the name "tos" may be misleading, as the original
> definition was outdated by dscp+ecn, but it was/is working fine now.
> However, as IPv6 is using dscp+ecn, too, I wonder if the tos variable
> should support IPv6 packets, too.
>
> Could anybody give me a hint? Is there maybe an alternative way to
> prioritise SIP in IPv6 with kamailio?
Probably when it was added the IPv6 was no longer in the spot and
developer didn't bother with it. If it uses more or less same interface
to set it, then I guess it will not be hard to extend it to IPv6. Just
add it to the tracker to be visible and not to get forgotten.

Kamailio World Conference, April 16-17, 2013, Berlin
  - http://conference.kamailio.com -