[SR-Users] IPv4 / v6 request to global parameter "TOS"

Klaus Feichtinger klaus.lists at inode.at
Fri Mar 22 21:50:35 CET 2013

Hello list,

in a bridging scenario with kamailio 3.3.4 and rtpproxy 1.2.1 for
bridging signalling and media from an IPv4 to an IPv6 network and vice
versa I found that the TOS value, which is set in kamailio.cfg, is used
for IPv4 packets only. IPv6 packets have the traffic class value set to
the default value 0x0. In other words: kamailio doesn´t use this
variable for IPv6 packets. In the cookbook
(http://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/3.3.x/core#tos) I haven´t found
any hint that it _is_ limited to IPv4 only ("...for the sent IP packages").

I know that the name "tos" may be misleading, as the original definition
was outdated by dscp+ecn, but it was/is working fine now. However, as
IPv6 is using dscp+ecn, too, I wonder if the tos variable should support
IPv6 packets, too.

Could anybody give me a hint? Is there maybe an alternative way to
prioritise SIP in IPv6 with kamailio?

Thanks in advance,
Klaus Feichtinger