[SR-Users] SER or Kamailio

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:24:21 CEST 2012

Hello,

if you install from sources, there is practically everything: ser +
kamailio together, it is up to you what modules you want to use.

If you install from kamailio packages (debian, centos), you get only
kamailio specific modules (what is located in modules/ and modules_k/).

Maturity of the code is the same, I am more into kamailio specific
modules, though, since I use them. Kamailio is traditionally more
interactive in terms of public relations, having a clear release policy,
with packages built every time.

Also, kamailio specific modules have more into SIMPLE extensions (I mean
here presence, xcap, ...), but this is not a problem since you can use
the modules with the ones developed in the past by SER. So there is
nothing different between Kamailio and SER if you install from sources.
As mentioned in the link, there are just some inter-module dependencies,
so when using a module, you have have to use another specific one. This
is actually valid in the same group of modules (like in modules_k), one
module requires another one.

What really make the difference in a deployment is the database
structure used behind. If you start from scratch, it does not matter
probably, but people upgrading from older versions, tend to stick to
what they have, so they continue using one or the other.

 From my observations on this mailing list, it is more likely you get
people answering more often for kamailio than ser. Also, there are more
tutorials showing how to use kamailio, including integration with
asterisk, if that is main concern, for example:

   * http://kb.asipto.com/asterisk:index

On 4/9/12 9:43 PM, Daniel Gonzalez wrote:
> Thanks for the link.
>
> If I understand correctly, both projects share the same source code,
> and implement more or less the same functionality.
> Is there a list of specific features which are only available in SER
> or in Kamailio?
>
> Which is the most widely deployed / documented option? Which is more
> mature / stable? Which is the option which interoperates easier with
> Asterisk?
>
> Sorry for the beginner questions, but I have found no place where this
> questions are adressed.
>
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM, SamyGo <govoiper at gmail.com
> <mailto:govoiper at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     :-|
>
>     http://www.kamailio.org/w/sip-router-releases/
>

>     On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Daniel Gonzalez
>     <gonvaled at gonvaled.com <mailto:gonvaled at gonvaled.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         I am starting to deploy a SIP router, and after reading the
>         documentation in http://sip-router.org I am a bit confused. I am
>         planning to integrate the SIP router with an asterisk PBX.
>         Which of
>         the available projects is  recommended to get in touch with the
>         technology, SER or Kamailio? Which are most of you in the list
>         using?
>         Is there a particular use case where one or the other is more
>         appropriate?
>
>         Thanks,
>         Daniel Gonzalez

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio Advanced Training, April 23-26, 2012, Berlin, Germany
http://www.asipto.com/index.php/kamailio-advanced-training/