[SR-Users] Balancing Asterisk

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:46:25 CET 2011

Hello,

On 3/7/11 12:51 AM, Andy Lippitt wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've read as many of the asterisk balancing threads as I can find.
> Either my situation is unusual or I simply haven't understood anything
> I've read.
>
> In short, I'm building an web/phone mashup which uses Asterisk's AGI
> to get its work done.  My only users are on the PSTN connected to
> Asterisk through a SIP trunk provider.  So presently, in and out
> through the same trunk, apps live on the single Asterisk box.
>
> My goal is scaling and failover.  I don't have any need for cross talk
> or transfers between the asterisk instances, and the algo's in
> dispatcher seem fine.  It seems to me that I should be setting the
> sip-router up a replacement for the existing peer in Asterisk.  What
> leaves me scratching my head is how I then register the sip-router
> with the upstream provider.  Alternatively, if I use the sip-router as
> an outboundproxy from asterisk (which seems like it's going to take
> some hacking to make this work in 1.4), doesn't this now mean I have
> multiple UAC's trying to register for the same name?
>
> Can someone set me on the right track?

the recommended way is to get IP-based authentication and peering with
your provider, in this way you don't need to authenticate calls out
neither send registrations - kamailio/ser is a proxy at its core.

The alternative is to use uac module, beware of its limitations
regarding authentication:
http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/stable/modules_k/uac.html

In case you still need a b2bua-like interaction with the provider, see
our related project - sip express media server (sems):
http://iptel.org/sems - the sources are in the same git repository
hosted at sip-router.org

> Thanks,
>
> Andy Lippitt