[SR-Users] Balancing Asterisk

Andy Lippitt andylippitt at vrevo.com
Mon Mar 7 00:51:32 CET 2011

Hello all,

I've read as many of the asterisk balancing threads as I can find.  Either
my situation is unusual or I simply haven't understood anything I've read.

In short, I'm building an web/phone mashup which uses Asterisk's AGI to get
its work done.  My only users are on the PSTN connected to Asterisk through
a SIP trunk provider.  So presently, in and out through the same trunk, apps
live on the single Asterisk box.

My goal is scaling and failover.  I don't have any need for cross talk or
transfers between the asterisk instances, and the algo's in dispatcher seem
fine.  It seems to me that I should be setting the sip-router up a
replacement for the existing peer in Asterisk.  What leaves me scratching my
head is how I then register the sip-router with the upstream provider.
Alternatively, if I use the sip-router as an outboundproxy from asterisk
(which seems like it's going to take some hacking to make this work in 1.4),
doesn't this now mean I have multiple UAC's trying to register for the same
name?

Can someone set me on the right track?

Thanks,

Andy Lippitt