[SR-Users] Meaning of empty body in NOTIFY

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Sat Jun 11 06:54:32 CEST 2011

2011/6/10 Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>:
> have you spotted in SIP/SIMPLE specs what has to be sent when the presentity
> is offline? My quick google was not that succesful. Maybe Inaki has the
> specs more fresh indexed in memory and can help.

If the user has not published a "offline" presentity, then the server
must not generate one. Sending an empty NOTIFY is the correct
behaviour, which means "unknown state" (most of the subscribers should
interpret it as  "offline").

What is the purpose of publishing a presentity with "offline" status?
Well, as most of the SIMPLE presence stuff, it's just a way to make
things hyper-complex.

There is however an exception: RFC 4827. The client goes on holidays
for long time and decides to upload,, via *XCAP* a *permanent* (non
expirable as a PUBLISH publication) pidf document in which it set the
info it desires (maybe a status "offline" with a message "I'm on
holiday until June 20").

> I based my assumption that the sip/simple presence server should not
> generate itself a presence/pidf document with status closed/offline since
> the pidf has a <tuple id="..."> node that is generated by presentity device.

Right. The presence server must never generate a pidf document in
behalf of the user.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>