[Kamailio-Users] SIMPLE vs XMPP: The Resolution

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Tue Oct 13 12:54:02 CEST 2009

El Martes, 13 de Octubre de 2009, Daniel-Constantin Mierla escribió:

> Not being a fan of "one size fits all" and happy to blend protocols to
> get best servicing, still using a mixed environment results sometime in
> divergent servicing and user experience. SIP has the advantage of
> offering advanced routing mechanisms at application level (headers),
> while XMPP is using DNS and TCP. I think is not possible to have same
> flexibility for im&p with xmpp like for calls with sip.

Yes, I've been doing some ngrep of XMPP flow and it seems really simpler than
SIMPLE. However it also seems strictly designed to the typical osage of an
user who opens its XMPP software, manages his buddies (permissions and so),
sends messages and participates in chat rooms.

While this covers 95% of the required cases, I'm not sure if XMPP is enough
flexible and extensible to cover other future areas in which presence is more
than "alice is online but bob cannot view alice's status as he's blocked by
her".

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>