[Kamailio-Users] SIMPLE vs XMPP: The Resolution

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 12:01:53 CEST 2009

On 07.10.2009 17:10 Uhr, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> 2009/10/7 Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com>:
>
>> Iñaki Baz Castillo writes:
>>
>>  > SIP & XMPP integration is a hack!!
>>
>> user simply chooses, based on ua capability, which protocol to use.  why
>> can't the same authentication data be used for both?
>>

> Of course both protocols can share the authentication backend
> (DB/LDAP/Radius...) but the fact is that authentication is done by two
> servers instead of just one, so issues as nonce reusage and such
> possible vulnerabilities appear twice in different ways.
>

>>  > Yes, it's true that until now the only feasible IM and presence
>>  > solution is XMPP, but we are in SIP side! and we must extend the usage
>>  > of SIP for IM and presence (even if implementations are not mature
>>  > yet...).
>>
>> this sounds religious and not very practical.
>>

> Of course, it was a pseudo-joke :)
>
> However I think that we cannot rely forever on XMPP to fill the
> IM&presence requeriments in our VoIP/SIP networks. At some point we
> have to bet on SIP for IM and presence. Of course, this step requires
> having a *good* set of specificacions and good server implementations,
> let's work on it!

Not being a fan of "one size fits all" and happy to blend protocols to
get best servicing, still using a mixed environment results sometime in
divergent servicing and user experience. SIP has the advantage of
offering advanced routing mechanisms at application level (headers),
while XMPP is using DNS and TCP. I think is not possible to have same
flexibility for im&p with xmpp like for calls with sip.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
* Kamailio SIP Masterclass, Nov 9-13, 2009, Berlin
* http://www.asipto.com/index.php/sip-router-masterclass/