[Kamailio-Users] SIMPLE vs XMPP: The Resolution

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Wed Oct 7 17:10:47 CEST 2009

2009/10/7 Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com>:
> Iñaki Baz Castillo writes:
>
>  > SIP & XMPP integration is a hack!!
>
> user simply chooses, based on ua capability, which protocol to use.  why
> can't the same authentication data be used for both?

Of course both protocols can share the authentication backend
(DB/LDAP/Radius...) but the fact is that authentication is done by two
servers instead of just one, so issues as nonce reusage and such
possible vulnerabilities appear twice in different ways.

>  > Yes, it's true that until now the only feasible IM and presence
>  > solution is XMPP, but we are in SIP side! and we must extend the usage
>  > of SIP for IM and presence (even if implementations are not mature
>  > yet...).
>
> this sounds religious and not very practical.

Of course, it was a pseudo-joke :)

However I think that we cannot rely forever on XMPP to fill the
IM&presence requeriments in our VoIP/SIP networks. At some point we
have to bet on SIP for IM and presence. Of course, this step requires
having a *good* set of specificacions and good server implementations,
let's work on it!

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>