[OpenSER-Users] SNMPStats

Michael Young myoung at redmonsters.net
Thu Mar 20 22:24:23 CET 2008

I locked myself in my office last night... and eventually got a lab box
working correctly. SNMPStats load, sends traps, and generally acts happy.
With CentOS, I found there were lots of package dependencies, and I just had
to get them all installed correctly.

So now that I've played with it for a while, it seems to me that SNMPStats
is really designed to be a trap generator for something like OpenNMS or HP
Openview. And I think it works great for those situations where you want to
generate an alarm upon reaching a particular threshold.

What I can't get it to do is respond to an SNMP query from my Cacti or MRTG
servers... instead of SNMPStats alerting me when it reaches a threshold, I
want to query it regularly and graph the answers, so I know when it is
approaching the thresholds.

Should SNMPStats enable me to do that?

If not, how do others gather that type of information (how many current
dialogs, etc?) I am running the Dialog and Statistics modules, and querying
the dialog table every five minutes to get the number of current dialogs for
a particular IP address right now.... but there has to be a better (ie, more
automated) way that I am missing, right?

Michael Young