[OpenSER-Users] "noisy_ctimer" parameter in TM module

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Mon Mar 3 20:46:02 CET 2008

At 20:12 03/03/2008, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>El Lunes, 3 de Marzo de 2008, Jiri Kuthan escribió:
>> >http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sparks-sip-invfix-01#section-8.2
>> >-------------------------------------------------------------
>> >      When a response is received by an element, it first tries to
>> >      locate a client transaction (Section 17.1.3) matching the
>> >      response.  If none is found, the element MUST NOT forward the
>> >      response.  If a transaction is found, the response is handed to
>> >      the client transaction.
>> >-------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> That's true, but I respectfuly disagree with this suggestion. Anyhow, at
>> the moment it is merely an Internet Draft under discussion.
>>
>> >So, in case the Timer is expired in OpenSer it MUST drop any reply
>> > received after it.
>>
>> By RFC3261 (and by my common sense), that's not the case.
>
>Yes, but the fact is that many proxies implement this behaviour (same as the
>suggested in the draft) in some propietary/custom way.
>For example, what about OpenSer?

Unless it has been explicitely changed after its fork from ser, it forwards
replies. (which has been knowingly put there so).

BTW--I have posted a question to the SIP WG, I really think that at least
MUST should be turned into SHOULD or even better informative documentation
of what the alleged security risks are. But that's just FYI, IETF debates
grow to be very lengthy.

>In case the timer expires and OpenSer doesn't generate a CANCEL, will OpenSer
>forward stateless a future reply?

with the above reservation, yes.

>Also, since OpenSer generated the "408 timeout", in the case the later 200 OK
>arrives to the caller it will be discarted, so...

in the silent mode, it neither sends a 408 nor a CANCEL. it just discards
the transaction context.

-jiri