[OpenSER-Users] Problem with "uac_replace_from()" and Linksys PAP: "vsf" parameter in Record-Route

Max Gregorian gregorian442 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 5 02:31:07 CET 2008

Seems pertinent to the situation so may as well mention it....

Most modern UACs are RFC3261 compliant and shouldn't have this problem.
However, I have seen similar problems with this "vsf" parameter on other
systems, namely interconnecting a VoiceMaster platform with OpenSER
1.1.1using uac_replace_from.

In this particular scenario VoiceMaster was receiving the 200 OK reply from
OpenSER but was responding with an ACK in which the "vsf" parameters had
been modified (i.e. changed from a mixture of lower and uppercase characters
to *only* lowercase).

Somewhere in the RFC it seems to suggest that if a UAC does not understand
the "vsf" parameters it should not modify them in the response it sends back
so clearly in this case, the VoiceMaster system was at fault. Nonetheless it
resulted in some rather ackward behaviour in OpenSER, since after the
uac_replace_from function was applied to the received ACK, the "From" field
was replaced with gibberish, which once forwarded to the destination gateway
or SIP A/S, the SIP A/S was unable to process. Hence, you ended up with the
behaviour you described above, - i.e. the 200 OK is retransmitted over and
over again until the request finally timed out.

(By "gibberish" I am referring to garbage characters like you would see in a
binary file. Perhaps the result of a memory leak.)

I can only imagine that such UACs are perhaps conforming to the older RFC
2543 SIP standard, which does not use such parameters.