[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] SER Users and Developers Meeting in Prague, March, colocated with the IETF

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Fri Feb 23 18:06:06 CET 2007

On Feb 23, 2007 at 15:07, Alfred E. Heggestad <aeh at db.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> for the SER meeting I would like to propose two items on the agenda:
>

> * Migrate from CVS to Subversion.
>
>   Subversion gives us many advantages such as history on directories
>   and atomic commits. Atomic changesets can be reviewed as one diff
>   and applied to any branch, if needed. All changes should also be
>   sent to -dev list (as today) but perhaps also include the full
>   changeset, this makes the change more visible, easier for offline
>   viewing and hopefully more eyeballs will spot potential bugs.
>   I am sure there are many developers here on the list who have
>   good experience with Subversion.

I thought we've already discussed this on this list and we even had a
vote. The conclusion was to stick with cvs.

I don't understand the part about the full changesets and making changes
more visisble. Every commit log already has links to the diffs.

> * SER config reload
>
>   It would be nice to add the possibility of reloading the config file
>   without shutting down SER. Consider an instance of SER with 10000
>   active TCP connections to 10000 useragents. The TCP connections are
>   maintained by the TCP processes, and if we had "ser reload" it would
>   have been possible to reload the config file and keep the TCP
>   processes running. Now, if this is feasible at all I do not know
>   but it certainly would have been a great feature to have ;)

It would be nice, but it's too difficult and time consuming (at least in
the general case). It would require some major changes. So this is a
"maybe" for ser 5.0 :-)

Andrei