call for documentation contribution (was Re: [Serusers] Upgrade documentation

sip sip at arcdiv.com
Wed Jul 12 21:39:14 CEST 2006

Cool.  I think, at least in the meantime, it might be a good idea to break
this up into sections to make it easier to manage.

Things that have changed since 0.9.x:

-Requirements? (Doesn't look like it for the basic stuff, but I imagine
someone might want to say something about possible additional requirements
that might be needed for presence, should it become more integrated (Vaclav?))

-Config file syntax changes (changes in the config that would have to be made
to make a 0.9.x config most likely work on a 0.10.x server)

-Config file syntax additions (any of the new stuff... like the @variables and
how they're used and how they CAN be used)

-DB changes (again, things that would have to be changed from a 0.9.x config
to a 0.10.x config)

-DB additions (anything that's additional in the DB that wouldn't fit into the
above category)

-Command-line changes (changes to the command-line tools and how they work)

-Module changes (like how one would replace an acc module that's logging to
radius, /var/log/messages, AND the db simultaneously with the new modules...
or even if they can all be used in tandem, etc, etc...   any new modules that
exist, any old modules that have been deprecated and their replacements if any).

-Module API changes(this is a VERY important section, but might be the most
complex...  things that have changed in the actual coding of modules since the
0.9.x code. I know that I, for one, have several custom modules to handle one
thing or another, and it would be nice to know how to migrate it to the new
format)

-Misc changes (anything that doesn't fit into the above categories, or might,
but no one knows where to put it).

Do we need a Wiki of some sort to track these changes? It might help to have
one available so that everyone can fill things out as they run into issues
(since we all have our own special configs and issues and modules).

N.

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:40:37 +0200, Jiri Kuthan wrote