[Serusers] SER / MediaProxy / B2BUA

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Wed Jul 5 09:07:53 CEST 2006

Just to expand a bit on the last messages (a good thread, BTW :-)
- A full B2BUA will be in both the signalling AND the RTP path.
Mediaproxy is only in the RTP path
- FYI: The new codebase for SEMS is a full B2BUA
- Pre-paid handling and terminating a call can basically be done in
three ways: The way described in this thread (using an external agent
that generates a "fake" BYE), a full B2BUA (often a session border
controller) that keeps both signalling and media and thus can internally
generate a BYE at will, and using the Session-Timer header (must be
supported by at least one party, i.e. the gateway) where a reINVITE is
done every x interval and the call can thus be terminated
- A fourth way has been explored by several people, but I'm not aware of
any implementations: SER can be made dialog-aware fairly simple and a
new timer module in CVS head can be used to review ongoing dialogs and
generate a BYE (the module can generate a BYE using the internal uac
functionality; also available from FIFO)
- A fifth way would be to implement a signalling-only B2BUA in ex. SEMS
(and thus avoid the dependency on media going through a central server).
You would have to have mediaproxy/rtpproxy in addition, and you wouldn't
be able to detect UAs that suddenly disappear from the call (i.e. no
RTP) unless you proxy. However, you would be able to terminate the call
based on credit.

- To Ryan: If you find you want to remove the depedency on sipsak, you
may want to look at the FIFO uac functionality. There is a ctd.sh script
in the examples dir that shows how to use it.

g-)