[Serusers] Deploying VoIP on a WAN

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Tue Feb 7 09:14:13 CET 2006

There is great pressure from large vendors of boxes to use Session Border
Controllers.  SBCs is one of the few, new big "new product class"
opportunitites for network equipment providers (as well as VoIP/video
equipment providers).  The marketing machines of these giants have been
quite successful at scaring others to design recommended interconnect etc
using SBCs. Why is that?

IMHO, there are several reasons:
1. Traditional telcos and operators are used to "walled garden" setups and
are mighty uncomfortable with alternative ways of handling traffic over
their network edges
2. Sometimes it easier (and faster) to throw hardware at a problem (the
"magic fix-it box") instead of upgrading competence and people. You contain
a set of rather technical issues in a box and you have somebody to blame
(the vendor)
3. The telco industry is highly reliant on the equipment and software
vendors. Over years, there has been established a perception in the industry
(also among executives) that unless you control and manage the full stack,
from end-to-end, you are not taking seriously the threats to security and
service outage ("hiding your internal topology" is a typical security
argument that sometimes/often translates to "internal servers/boxes = no
security", "public servers/boxes = security deliver by vendor")
4. Using SBCs you can control in more detail media streams, signalling, etc
and some telcos and operators actually has something to gain from that. They
want to charge for the video conference service, not allow multiple,
concurrent and uncharged mediastreams between endpoints.

In fact, some SBCs started out as something like SER+rtpproxy + a nice web
interface (maybe even in implementation ;-).  Then they added all sorts of
options and control niceties.  Many SBCs' implementations have (as Jiri
pointed out) bugs, simplistic implementations, and will most definitely over
time constitute a large part of the cost of a roll-out for many telcos. You
see the same problem in smaller scale with Application Layer Gateways (ALGs)
in NATs and firewalls. Also, the firewalls look into more and more packets
on the application layer. A simple change (or new combination of options) in
the application layer protocol will cause problems when the ALG does not
understand.  See the business opportunity for vendors?  (Software
maintenance is already a large part of equipment manufacturers' revenues.)

IMO, there will be two different approaches: Some will use SBCs, some will
not. Those who don't will increase their competence and gain experience that
will help them every time a new service is brought the market. The SBC users
will have trouble with "time-to-market" compared to non-SBC users. Both
models may be successful dependent on the market they serve.

Jiri's post describes very well how SBCs in the long run can be a greater
cost than benefit.

So, to the recommendations (yes, free ;-):
- If the endpoints are routable on the public Internet anyway (or behind a
NAT with a public address), why do you need to hide your topology?  (that's
one of the big problems for mobile operators as phones with Internet
connection can get services and "only" pay for bandwidth...)
- Need for a quick, get-started, basic service with interconnect, NAT
handling etc and have enough money: Go for SBCs (or use the SER - Getting
Started document from ONsip.org if you don't have the money ;-)
- You're business model is based on tightly controlled services (charged per
service/option) with high service level agreement and slow introduction of
new services: Go for SBCs
- If you expect to introduce new services quickly, experiment with what
sticks, want to have a flexible pricing model for bundles etc: Drop the SBCs

So, regarding interconnect: There will be providers who require SBCs (or
recommend). Go for those without, if you don't use them yourself.  (or maybe
more important: do your business models fit?)

g-)