[Serusers] Deploying VoIP on a WAN

Joao Pereira joao.pereira at fccn.pt
Mon Feb 6 21:58:55 CET 2006

Michael Heckner wrote:

> Hi Joao,
>
> Joao Pereira schrieb:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As many of you may know, we are undertaking several tests in order to
>> test
>> the interoperability between several PBX IP from different vendors.
>> Until
>> now, we were trusting that the VoIP IP PBX were good enough to be
>> interconnected directly, however, one of the vendors have presented
>> the "SBC" concept.
>>
>> The "SBC" (Session Border Controller) is not a new concept since we were
>> using it anyway when we setup a (Asterisk+SER+SIP Proxy) Box to
>> handle the
>> "on-net dialout" calls.
>>
>> I'm now overwhelmed with the amount of SBCs that are suggested by the
>> vendors
>> to implement a solution.
>> (http://www.juniper.net/solutions/literature/solutionbriefs/351085.pdf)
>>
>> Can anyone drop me some lines about this? I urgently need some
>> feedback on
>> this.
>

> the SBC must be present whenever you leave your IP network.

Ok, but can I do the same with a B2BUA in my SER/Asterisk  box?

> If you deal with residential users, and you work with a SIP Proxy, you
> want to hide your proxy and your internal topology from the outside.
> So you need an SBC there, or, speaking more precisly, one interface of
> the SBC must concentrate the external network traffic,
>
> The same is true, when you do interconnection with other carriers,
> instead of publishing the IP address of your proxy, you provide them
> with (another) IP address assigned to an interface of the SBC.

> The amount of SBC is dependng on the expected network traffic, and the
> amount of interfaces, you require. Some boxes work perfectly with
> logical interfaces, i.e. assign multiple IP addresses to a single
> physical interface.

Yes, thats something I can put in my SER/Asterisk box, instead of buying
some proprietary SBC.

> I propose to do detailed network and traffic engineering to ensure
> that you select an appropriate solution.

Do you know where can I find more information about VoIP WAN
deployments? I want to know if the SBC is the only solution, or if it is
the market demanding solution. Thats because I m already calling outside
my LAN, and doing trunking with telcos, without the SBC....

Joao Pereira
FCCN