[Serusers] Deploying VoIP on a WAN

Joao Pereira joao.pereira at fccn.pt
Tue Feb 7 00:51:48 CET 2006

Hello
I believe the "must" was to emphasize the position of the SBC in the
architecture :)

What I want to know is what software can I use to make the SBC job. A
B2BUA? Is vovida B2BUA the solution to substitute the SBC?
Is the payed version of SER the best solution?

My SER has a public IP, routable from the Internet..... is this an
acceptable solution? Im going to deploy a very large VoIP network. Can I
trust in a PBX available from the Internet???

 From the pdf in attachment, I see that SBCs are not only a solution for
clients, they are also a solution for telcos. For registering a lot of
client SBCs, and for registering a lot of phones. Is the open source
solution (I mean SER/Asterisk/B2BUA/RTPproxy) being used in telcos?
Thanks
Joao Pereira

With all respect I would urge people not to use words like "must" if there is
no prove for necessity. As long as I have a counterproof -- most of our customers
under our consultancy, very big ISPs among those, actually don't use SBCs -- it is
very easy to show how mistaken such a statement is and how optional these boxes are.

I would actually be easy to go much further. SBCs cause lot of pain. In the field
some SBCs disconnected lot of subscribers because they are single point of failure and
they fail. (Even if you have a pair, given the fact that both pair members use the
same software and software failure is one of the most frequesnt failure causes,
it happens that the complete pair fails.)

Other SBCs, faithful to the principle "to be safe, filter all things you don't understand"
filtered useful valid traffic which SBC's implementors didn't foresee/understand.
Which successfuly prohibited use of messaging/presence services.

I would consider money put in SBCs a poor investment. I think companies that give
the money to education and bonuses of their administrative IT personal will meet
better operational results.