[Serusers] Inserting SER into my voice network

Mark Aiken aiken.mark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 06:08:16 CET 2005

For the case where Asterisk is handling RTP bridging, and not TDM/DAC
conversion, its not a jitter buffer you need but real-time platform
performance.
 If Asterisk is the cause of jitter when its relaying media then its a flaw
in Asterisk, just like a slow/broken router will cause jitter when
forwarding from one interface to another.
 The fix is not to add a jitter buffer, but quite the opposite and all
buffering and delays should be minimized.
 You would need to insure that real-time priority for the entire RTP path
though Asterisk is guaranteed. I expect potential deadlock conditions would
require much work for this to be successful.
 Mark