[Serusers] Questions about SER+SERWEB+SEMS deployment

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Tue Mar 15 10:57:40 CET 2005

See inline.

> Few days ago I just finished installing SER 0.8.14 and serweb stable
> with mysql authentication and accounting. Seems to be working well.
> I'm moving my focus to SER 0.9.0 with "centralized" Radius accounting
> and SEMS (if possible). I still have several deployment questions
> about that though.
> For the "fifo_db_url" parameter in 0.9.0, what feature(s) does it
> enable?

I haven't really looked closely, but I believe the database FIFO was
introduced to allow a unified FIFO-based access to the database.  Up to
0.9.0, serctl was implemented by running actual mysql commands, now it can
communicate (using a generic protocol) with the FIFO.

> About RADIUS accounting, several users posted their problem in not
> being able to run the RADIUS server on a different host, but seems
> there were no answers to their inquiries. Is that true?

I saw a post a while ago mentioned a third file clients.conf where the
clients had to be entered, but haven't tested it yet.

> For SEMS, Greger mentioned that it "uses a full ser instance as its
> front-end". Does it mean that it can be run on a different host so it
> can serve as a "centralized" media server for several different SER
> proxies?

Yes.

> I planning to test out an announcement feature - users need
> to hear an audio before their call will be established with the
> callee. Somewhere in the list I saw people said that this can only be
> accomplished with the use of a B2BUA. While SER+SEMS have an
> announcement feature, is it a different feature than "Pre-call
> speech", or SEMS cannot be run as a centralized media server for such
> purpose without some re-programming?

I don't really know this, as I haven't used SEMS, but I believe your first
statement is correct.  There is a difference between playing a message and
*then* establishing the call and just playing a message, because in the
first scenario you actually have three parties in the media streams.

g-)