[Serusers] Questions about SER+SERWEB+SEMS deployment

matt morris mmorris36 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 01:11:20 CET 2005

Thank you Greger for your previous reply.

Few days ago I just finished installing SER 0.8.14 and serweb stable with
mysql authentication and accounting. Seems to be working well. I'm moving my
focus to SER 0.9.0 with "centralized" Radius accounting and SEMS (if
possible). I still have several deployment questions about that though.

For the "fifo_db_url" parameter in 0.9.0, what feature(s) does it enable?

About RADIUS accounting, several users posted their problem in not being
able to run the RADIUS server on a different host, but seems there were no
answers to their inquiries. Is that true?

For SEMS, Greger mentioned that it "uses a full ser instance as its
front-end". Does it mean that it can be run on a different host so it can
serve as a "centralized" media server for several different SER proxies? I
planning to test out an announcement feature - users need to hear an audio
before their call will be established with the callee. Somewhere in the list
I saw people said that this can only be accomplished with the use of a
B2BUA. While SER+SEMS have an announcement feature, is it a different
feature than "Pre-call speech", or SEMS cannot be run as a centralized media
server for such purpose without some re-programming?

>From: "Greger V. Teigre" <greger at teigre.com>
>To: "matt morris" <mmorris36 at hotmail.com>, <serusers at lists.iptel.org>
>Subject: Re: [Serusers] Questions about SER+SERWEB+SEMS deployment
>Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:34:59 +0100
>
>Dear Matt,
>A small group of ser users have started to write a Getting Started document
>that will address many of your questions.  A date for a first draft is not
>yet set, but the draft will be posted to this list.
>
>    To your questions:
>
>>I'm a new user of SER. Just some questions about how I could deploy
>>SER+SERWEB+SEMS, possibly on separate hosts, as I plan to have more
>>than one SER proxy server with a centralized web server and
>>media/voice mail server (1) Basically what features will I be missing
>>if I decide to omit the fifo functions (if possible) in serweb? (
>>aliases, add new contact SIP address and who are online would be
>>three features, right?)
>
>Standard ser does not have network-based  FIFO functionality.  Various
>initiatives have worked on this issue.  Meanwhile, my advice is: Do not
>start with this complexity. Use FIFO (only thing serweb supports today),
>install serweb on the same server as ser, get it up and running and start
>the learning curve.
>
>>(2) I saw in one of the threads that there is a  fifo_server.php file
>>available for fifo-Internet relay, but not quite sure how to use it.
>>Could someone give me some pointers?
>
>cvs 0.9.0 in the utils directory.
>
>>(3) Somewhere in the mailing list I saw the "fifo_db_url" global
>>declaration, is it a feature only available in version 0.9.0? And is
>>there a serweb version that will work with ser 0.9.0?
>
>Yes.  And no, I believe serweb is not yet fully functional with 0.9.0.
>
>>(4) I have not tried SEMS yet, but since it also communicates with
>>SER via fifo, I would assume it has to be in the same host as SER,
>>right? Are there any existing modules/plugins that will allow SER and
>>SEMS on different hosts? If not, would it be more scalable if I build
>>an Asterisk box to handle voice mails?
>
>No, sems uses a full ser instance as its front-end. See examples supplied.
>
>There are different opinions as to whether sems is mature enough to handle
>voicemail. It depends on your needs. In the Getting Started doc we will use
>Asterisk.
>
>>(5) If I have multiple SER proxy servers on different hosts, how
>>could UA Alpha registered with SER proxy A be able to call UA beta
>>which registered with SER proxy B? What setup/configuration would I
>>need?
>
>There are no short-cuts to accomplishing what you want. You need to fully
>understand how proxying and other things work.  Start out with a tutorial,
>read the admin manual, and go through the serusers list on mail.iptel.org.
>http://www.iptel.org/ser/sipintro.html
>http://www.iptel.org/sip/
>http://www.iptel.org/ser/admin.html
>
>g-)

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.
first two months FREE*.