[Serusers] FYI: Reference document

Iqbal iqbal at gigo.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 14:47:07 CET 2005

Excellent news: Just adding my topic, in addition can I suggest that the
subject line for topic posts to be changed to SERDOC (that way i wont
lose it in all my posts :-))

I dont know the correct format that you want this is, if it needs
changing let me know

Topic: RTP stream handling and PSTN billing

Since alot of users will be using pstn termination, I guess a small
section covering best practice for pstn termination and billing.

a) best way of doing billing, always been apopular question, always
answered with USE b2bua
b) The above solution is fine, but its does not describe the probs that
may occur with scaling issues if you are handling the media stream
c) Since asterisk will be included in the voicemail section, I guess a
addon here about handling outbound pst, together with the CDR rating
proggies that it has might be useful (I am not sure if this is skewing
too much towards asterisk)
d) call scenraios, sip --> sip (both behind nat)
     sip ---> sip ( caller or callee behind nat)
     sip ---> pstn ( caller behind/not behind nat)
     pstn ----> sip (callee behind/not behind nat)

Each of these scenarios would affect the setup, in that some are just
being handled by the mediaproxy/rtpproxy others wont need that, but the
rtp stream would need to pass through a b2bua to aid billing....if your
doing prepaid

e) sip ---> sip of other provider...SIP interconnect, I guess should also
be included, possibly with a standard prefix for each provider (there
was a post on this list about standard prefixes, or a maintainer)

If more/less info is needed let me know, currently I am working on the
setup via asterisk for outbound pstn simply for prepaid, hence once I
have it up, I could give the docs for the rating stuff...

Iqbal