[Serusers] ser+mediaproxy behind nat

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Fri Aug 19 09:04:59 CEST 2005

> I am currently trying out the examples from the Getting Started manual
> version 04a from Onsip.org. The reference design there shows that SER
> itself is nated.

That's correct. However, you are better off with SER on a public IP if you
primarily serve external clients. If SER is NATed, you need to make sure
that the public IP of SER is advertised (_port and _ip) and that the public
IP is used in record_route_preset(). Of course, you also need to do static
mapping on the NAT in front of SER to forward port 5060 to the inside
address. I recently posted a more thorough explanation of this.

> My question is how will a UA from the public internet
> or somewhere outside the SER's nat register with the SIP server? Will
> I put the SER's nat public ip as the sip proxy and do I have to set
> some kind of port forwarding on the SER's nat?
Yes.

> Also, doesn't
> mediaproxy have to listen on a public ip?
Yes. This is described in the document and thoroughly documented in
mediaproxy's README files.

g-)