[Serusers] Avoiding storing passwords in mysql "subscriber" tablein clear-text

karl ser_newbie at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 15:15:50 CEST 2004

Steve,

Thanks once again.

I have modified the ser.cfg file as suggested, and restarted ser, but for whatever parmater value yes/no used, I always get the following results when creating a new user account with the serctl add command:
a) Clear text for password column "password".
b) Encrypted text for password column "ha1".
c) Encrypted text for password column "ha1b".

Regards,

Karl

Steve Blair <blairs at isc.upenn.edu> wrote:

Karl:

My notes say "modparam("auth", "calculate_ha1", yes)" will allow
clear text
passwords in the MySQL database. I vaguely remember setting this to
no during a trial. I think, if my memory serves me correctly, that the value
in the password column was encrypted at that point.

I would recommend you try this for yourself and report back to the
list. It
has been a while since I last tried it and I am currently running with
clear
text passwords.

Thanks,Steve

--