[Serusers] mediaproxy <-> rtpproxy

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Jul 23 01:16:23 CEST 2004

On Jul 22, 2004 at 23:06, Arne Scheffer <arne.scheffer at ritstele.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone give an indication of what direction the project is moving with mediaproxy and rtpproxy ?

In both directions.
mediaproxy is supported/backed up by ag projects (Adrian Georgescu and
Dan Pascu) and nathelper by Maxim Sobolev (portaone), me, Bogdan and
probably the rest of the iptel team.

> >From the mediaproxy readme I understand the advantages of being able to have multiple mediaproxies.
> (sonds good)
>
> On the mailing list I have found limited questions on the mediaproxy so I get the impression it is not being used a lot (yet) ?
>
> I have installed it on a box with the latest CVS head.
>
> I am experencing may problems with diffent NAT types, some work (eg e-tech ADSL modem with NAT) but others don't (linux debian with iptables).

It should work in this setup. It's very likely that you have it
missconfigured somehow.

> What is the most compatible solution at present ?

They both are based on the same ideea (Maxim's). In fact mediaproxy is derived
from an  older nathelper version, so you can't say one is more
compatible than the other.
IMO:
- nathelper is more flexible/configurable.
- mediaproxy tries to be easier to use, but this is at the expense of some
configurability

Andrei