[Serusers] REGISTER implementation --

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Fri Jan 9 21:37:59 CET 2004

On Friday 09 January 2004 21:20, Kannaiyan Natesan wrote:
> > SER is a very good SIP proxy. A proxy sets up calls, doesn't terminate
>
> No doubt in that.

Thanks :-)

> I really don't want that to be a SIP Proxy feature.
> But to add as a module like NAT, RTPProxy. I hope it is clear.

Most of SERs features are implemented as modules, but i guess Ole meant, that
sending REGISTERs is a feature which belongs to endpoints and not to a proxy
which is not able to place or answer calls. And i agree with that.
(For the implemenation of such a feature: hwo to you want to manage all the
passwords, accounts, etc. at the server.. sounds horrible to me.)

> The reason why it is needed:
> I cannot buy bulk of phones to have a phone for every sip proxy or even to
> pay too much for every additional sip uri. I feel it would be better to be
> done at the server side rather than at the sip endpoint.

A little analogy: would you tell you SMTP server how it can fetch the mail
from you several mail accounts? I guess not.
Either you use a MAU which can handle several accounts. Or you use
forwardings, to collect all your mails at one central account.

=> Either use SIP clients which can handle several accounts, or forward you
other accounts (by inserting persistent contacts to your central account) to
one central account. (And please dont blame us, if you use accounts at
servers which can not forward your account :-)

> Asterisk needs a loads of changes to have the same implementation compared
> to SER.

:-)

Regards
  Nils