[Serusers] rtp proxy recommendations?

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at portaone.com
Mon Apr 19 20:31:45 CEST 2004

Andy Pyles wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> thanks for your answer.
> however, How does this solution scale?

It scales very well since it was designed from ground-up for performance
and robustness. Artifical tests show that on modern hardware it is able
to handle some 2,000 simulateneous calls, so that even applying real
world discounts you should be able to sustain 1,000 simulateneous
sessions without any problems.

> I may have a large number of users behind NAT.
>
> Is it possible to have a failover.. i.e. send to to rtpproxy1, if it is
> down/busy send to rtpproxy2, rtpproxy3, etc? From what I can see in the
> source code there can only be one rtpproxy at a time. Is this correct? Or
> am I missing something.

Yes, it is correct, but rtpproxy is quite simple component so that in
normal operational conditions there are no or very small probability
that it will crash or hang. We have been testing it extensively in
production conditions during the last 10 months and never observed any
problems due to it. I think that iptel.org also uses it extensively in
their service and so far they never reported any stability problems to me.

However, fallover can be relatively easy implemented.

-Maxim