[Serusers] SER question - Has anyone been able to successfully use Polycom SIP phones with SER?

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Thu Sep 18 10:52:27 CEST 2003

We have tested against _lot_ of SIP hardphones. Most of them can speak
SIP quite well today, so the decision making process relates to budget,
stability, and features.

Cisco telephones have always been the most stable ones. Unfortunately,
the most expensive as well. 7905s ship now which are cheaper. Grandstream
is certainly the most affordable SIP telephone today and it supports STUN
nat-traversal (it ships through sipphone.com). Mitel is a very convenient
phone (like Cisco, it features 3-party conferecning, for example), I just
sometimes experience voice distortions which are possible caused by the
telephone. pingtel is another one of the good-and-quite-expensive class.

We have not been approached by polycom for testing their general-availability
phones so I don't have any opinion on them.

There are some other sip phones too, but we either never got them for
testing or they are better not worth mentioning. See a list too at
http://www.iptel.org/info/products/index.php?category=hardphone&name=Hardphones&siponly=1

-jiri