[Serusers] where is ser.cfg used on iptel.org server?

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Sun Sep 7 21:58:18 CEST 2003

At 09:30 PM 9/7/2003, Felix Schmid wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I remember having read somewhere that the 'ser.cfg' file used at
>'iptel.org' can be downloaded somewhere in order to be used as an
>example for many of the functionalities ser offers. Unfortunately I
>can't remember where I read this, nor did I find it on the ftp server...
>:(
>
>Is this config file still available for download?

There is no such 8.11 iptel config file available.

>I am mainly asking because I am looking for an answer for the following
>phenomenon:
>I have SER running on my home network (on the gateway). When I try to
>send an IM to my account at iptel.org using kphone and I use my gateway
>SER as an outbound proxy, everything runs smoothly; I get a message back
>from iptel.org that the IM will be delivered to me as soon as I login
>the next time (what will not happen until I solved the NAT problem ;)).
>Now, when I try the same without using my gateway as an outbound proxy,
>I get the beloved message from iptel.org that it doesn't like my private
>Contact address.

I hope that's easy to explain. We deny requests with private-IP addresses
in their contact header field. Such requests can't be followed up by
subsequent requests -- private IP addresses maky subsequent conversation
non-routable. We better deny and tell you it would break rather than
let it break later.

We except cases in which record-route was applied as we assume that
record-routing is used in a smart way to get subsequent requests over
NATs.

>The only way the two requests differ is that the one using the outbound
>proxy uses a record-route

That's exactly the point.

-Jiri