[Serusers] SER installation problems

Daniel-Constantin Mierla Daniel-Constantin.Mierla at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Oct 22 12:01:29 CEST 2003

Hello,
comments inline,

On 10/21/2003 7:16 PM, Subhra Saha wrote:

>Thank you Daniel. I have installed the 0.8.11 version. The SER is
>running and I am able to see the various processes.
>
>I am having the following problems:
>
>1. I tried to register my SIP SJ client to the server and on running
>ethereal I found that the REGISTER packet was directed to 208.27.83.140
>by SER. And so my user registration was timing out.
>
>Shouldn't SIP SER do the registration?

Do you have any idea what 208.27.83.140 stands for? It is one of your IP
addresses? Usually, this problem occurs when the REGISTERs are not
intended to SER -- the hostname or the IP address in request URI is
different than the one of the machine when ser is running. If this IP is
the one of the machine with ser they try to add the hostname you are
using into SIP URIs as an alias in ser config file. Just add a line like
the next one into global parameters section:

alias="mydomain.org"

>2. I made the changes as per HOWTOs for Serweb. Unfortunately, I have
>not been able to run serweb.
>The document HOWTOs mentioned changes with respect to RH Linux 8.0 and I
>was using 7.3. The directory '/usr/www/html' didn't contain a directory
>'htdoc' but only 'htdig'. I assumed that htdoc meant htdig and made the
>same changes. But I am not able to launch serweb?

htdig is another tool for searching into webpages. So, obviously you are
using the wrong directory. Depending the distribution you are using, if
you install the web server from sources or from packages, the web
directory may be located in different places, like /var/www or
/var/httpd or /home/www or /home/httpd ...

The best way to see where this directory is located is to find first the
httpd.conf and look into it for 'DocumentRoot'. Note that I assumed that
you try to use Apache web server.

Best regards,
}Daniel