[Serusers] SER && SEMS over satellite

Olaf Menzel menzel at fokus.fhg.de
Mon Nov 10 12:07:04 CET 2003

Dear SERusers and SERdevelopers,
-------------------------------------
For geographic information system we want to use SIP Voip over
satellite. The attached figure will give you a short overview of
the network architecture. We have a home network and a field network.
The field network is directly behind the satellite station.
In the field network we will have notebooks and PDA running Voip SIP
client software. The VSAT and the WLAN Accesspoint
will be mounted in a VAN or other movable vehicle. In the VAN a
operation team will control all the proccesses in the field network.
For Voip online collaboration they have several Voip hardphones. We'd
like to havve Voip bidirectional connection between the operating
team and the stuff in the field and Voip conferencing as well. For
emergency situations e.g. the field network is a mine field of a
demining NGO
the operating team should be able to send a emergency call to everybody
in the mine filed to stop the demining proccess immediately. Right now
demining organizations use VHF radio for this purpose. The operation
team in the home office should be able to call everybody in the filed
network
and participate in the field's Voip conference.

To test the Voip functionality I set up a demonstrator network and
installed the developement versions of SER and SEMS in the home network
and in the field network. Because I am a new in this realm I have
additional  questions the administrator manual could not answer or I did
not unserstand it.

1. Do I need DNS running for SER routing between the home and field
network even I am using privat networks ?

2. How and were can I define a conference URI e.g. sip:fieldconf at 10.3.240.1

3. The postgresql SER module does not compile under RH 7.3 and RH 9.0 .
I cannot find a SQL setup script for postresql.
     Do I really need  a  RDMS  like MySQL  for  user management  and
registration?

4.  Does the following scriptlet routes all matching calls from the home
network to the field network. ( All numbers beginning with a 2 should be
      routed to the filed network and all URI'S containing 10.3.240.1 in
the domain part:

       if(uri=~"^sip:2[0-9][0-9][0-9] | (10\.3\.240\.1)"
       {
              forward (10.3.240.1, 5060);
        }

     All extension beginning with 1 or containing 10.3.1.2 as domain
part in the URI should be routed to the SER in the home network.

     ????

Thank you for your help

Olaf

-- Fhg-Fokus-CC Satcom