[Serusers] Re: [Serdev] SER && SEMS over satellite

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Mon Nov 10 15:45:56 CET 2003

Hello, comments inline.

On 10-11 12:07, Olaf Menzel wrote:
> Dear SERusers and SERdevelopers,
> -------------------------------------
> For geographic information system we want to use SIP Voip over
> satellite. The attached figure will give you a short overview of
> the network architecture. We have a home network and a field network.
> The field network is directly behind the satellite station.
> In the field network we will have notebooks and PDA running Voip SIP
> client software. The VSAT and the WLAN Accesspoint

  May I know what client software are you going to use ?

> will be mounted in a VAN or other movable vehicle. In the VAN a
> operation team will control all the proccesses in the field network.
> For Voip online collaboration they have several Voip hardphones. We'd
> like to havve Voip bidirectional connection between the operating
> team and the stuff in the field and Voip conferencing as well. For
> emergency situations e.g. the field network is a mine field of a
> demining NGO
> the operating team should be able to send a emergency call to everybody
> in the mine filed to stop the demining proccess immediately. Right now
> demining organizations use VHF radio for this purpose. The operation
> team in the home office should be able to call everybody in the filed
> network
> and participate in the field's Voip conference.
>
> To test the Voip functionality I set up a demonstrator network and
> installed the developement versions of SER and SEMS in the home network
> and in the field network. Because I am a new in this realm I have
> additional  questions the administrator manual could not answer or I did
> not unserstand it.
>
> 1. Do I need DNS running for SER routing between the home and field
> network even I am using privat networks ?

  No, for routing between home and field network you don't need DNS. You
  can create static routes in the configuration script using IP. Note
  that you will also probably need SIP devices that can operate without
  DNS, most SIP devices available today resolve the server's IP address
  using SRV records.

  You can simply forward all the SIP traffic from the field network
  which is not targeted to the field network to your home network
  server.

> 2. How and were can I define a conference URI e.g. sip:fieldconf at 10.3.240.1

  In the configuration script of ser. If you detect a conference URI
  then you will forward it to the conference server.

> 3. The postgresql SER module does not compile under RH 7.3 and RH 9.0 .

  Any error message ?

> I cannot find a SQL setup script for postresql.

  Currently we have only ser_mysql.sh which works with MySQL only. A
  version for postgres currently doesn't exist, but we plan to introduce
  it in the future.

>     Do I really need  a  RDMS  like MySQL  for  user management  and
> registration?

   No, you can use dbtext as well which can store all the data in
   plaintext files. It is not suitable for a large amount of data, but
   for smaller setups like yours it should work fine.

> 4.  Does the following scriptlet routes all matching calls from the home
> network to the field network. ( All numbers beginning with a 2 should be
>      routed to the filed network and all URI'S containing 10.3.240.1 in
> the domain part:
>
>       if(uri=~"^sip:2[0-9][0-9][0-9] | (10\.3\.240\.1)"
>       {
>              forward (10.3.240.1, 5060);
>        }

   The condition will be true for all SIP URIs that begin with 2 followed by
   at least 3 digits or SIP URI that contain "10.3.240.1".

   Probably you want something like this:

   if (uri =~ "(^sip:2[0-9]*@.*)|(^sip:.*@10\.3\.240\.1)")

   Also use t_relay_to_udp instead of forward. Forward implements
   stateless forwarding while t_relay_to_udp implements stateful
   forwarding.

>     All extension beginning with 1 or containing 10.3.1.2 as domain
> part in the URI should be routed to the SER in the home network.

   Similar to the previous condition.

    Jan.