[Serusers] Firewall and NAT

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Jul 23 14:23:21 CEST 2003

> >We are using Check Point firewall I configured this
> >server to allow both way in/out and NATED with public
> >IP.
> >For testing purpose I kept all ports opened in the
> >firewall, for this particular server. I don’t why I am
> >not able to register it.

Might take a closer look at the Checkpoint to see if it is
doing Port Address Translation (PAT) in addition to NAT.
If I recall correctly, the older versions of Checkpoints
software did PAT, which caused folks problems when an app
wanted to use specific tcp/udp port numbers (for example,
when trying to use an non-checkpoint VPN box on the inside
of the checkpoint).

> >Which is better PSTN gateway. We are looking at 1 to 2
> >FXS port at this time for testing purpose.
>
> ? FXS is a PSTN-phone-2-IP gateway, isn't it? The most
> popular is cisco's ata.

Think the FXS is a Foreign Exchange interface intended to tie
a ser-accessible gateway to a telephone/pbx line (not to a
telephone instrument).