[Serusers] Accounting with SER

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Jul 8 05:06:36 CEST 2003

At 04:41 AM 7/8/2003, Greg Fausak wrote:
>We are using the cisco 7206vxr gear.  They report connect/disconnect
>messages to syslog as well.  As you note we use the TDM disconnect
>to re-enforce our SIP BYE messages.  Often the SIP BYE is missed.

I just want to verify I understood -- you are saying that with 7206,
a TDM disconnect is sometimes not translated in a SIP BYE but is at
least reported via syslog?

>> >If ser proxy queries both side of a call at certain
>> intervals, that will be ok. However, I am not sure if SIP
>> supports such status query.
>>
>> There is a mechanism called session timer. The idea is simple: make
>> UA send keep-alive messages. If none arrives, call-stateful elements
>> in the signaling path can remove call state.
>
>Is there an example of the session timer with SER somewhere?

That's a theoretical SIP option today, SER is not supporting session-timer.
We gave it a try more than one year ago and gave up due to interop problems.
The specification was developing at that time so quickly that there was not
any UA which would work with another one correctly.

Once the interoperability gets better, it could be worth implementing. It
is in general a nice mechanism for avoiding session state silo in network,
which is good for scalability.

-Jiri