[Serusers] problem with sms module

Bogdan-Andrei IANCU iancu at fokus.gmd.de
Tue Jan 14 13:25:31 CET 2003

Most probably, it seams that SER is not able to "see" your modem. You
don't need any driver or any supplementary application in order to use
your modem (phone) via serial cable in Linux.
To be sure, please test your modem connectivity using "minicom" - set
device = /dev/ttyS0 , ECHO = on, etc. See if your modem responds to the
"AT" command - it should reply with "OK".

Regarding your second question, let me make you a short explanation
about how the SMS module works:
- from SIP->SMS : send with a SIP UAC a SIP MESSAGE to your SER. Using
the script function"sms_send_msg", SER will send an SMS having as text
the body from the SIP message. The SMS destination (that is a mobile
phone number) has to be specified into user part of the Request URI of
the SIP message (for more details see the README).
- from SMS->SIP : from a mobile phone send a SMS to the GSM device
attached to SER - SMS the gateway - (in your case, the MOTOROLA phone).
Regarding how the SMS should look like, see the README. Once the SMS
received by SER (through the SMS GW), the message will be forwarded as a
SIP message to a SIP UAC.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for any further problems!

Best regards,
Bogdan