[Serusers] Access control on PSTN gateways

Michael Graff Michael_Graff at isc.org
Sat Jan 11 01:03:29 CET 2003

Jiri Kuthan <jiri at iptel.org> writes:

> I'm not sure I understand. You want to account calls to PSTN, is that
> what you wish to achieve?

Yes.  There are I think 4 entities who all want to share one PSTN
gateway.  Each will receive a different phone bill, and may want to
present different source phone numbers to bill specific groups within
their DID.

That said, I'm new to telephone stuff, so I may be asking the wrong
questions or using the wrong words.

> - why can't you account to the accounting system from the gateway
>   -- I think of gateways as a very good place for accounting --
>   they know everything about a call, including the PSTN side and
>   media status; they are thus in better shape to account than a proxy is

For call length, sure, but I need to tell the PSTN gateway the source
of the call, and we don't want it to be the one mapping sip:graff at isc.org
into a 10-digit phone number.

> - what do you mean by rewriting identities? are you thinking of
>   a proxy which authenticates incoming requests from upstream
>   and authenticates to downstream gateway as someone else? why?

See above.

> - what accounting mechanims would you like to use? radius?

that, or sql, or syslog.

> Or am I guessing completely wrong and you mean you wish to have
> the ability to replace a native sip user name "john.doe" with "his"
> phone number 1234, so that the gateway sees "1234" as username and
> can propagate it to PSTN?

Exactly.  Only it will see 65077970xx, but that's beside the point.

--Michael