[Serusers] Access control on PSTN gateways

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Fri Jan 10 22:44:31 CET 2003

At 09:41 PM 1/10/2003, Michael Graff wrote:
>We have a group of people who run their own SIP servers (some are
>SER, some are not) and we are going to be sharing a PSTN gateway (Cisco
>box).
>
>I need to rewrite the identities for the users of our gateway into
>something that can be presented to the PSTN gateway for billing
>purposes.  We don't want to do that mapping on the gateway itself, for
>various reasons.

I'm not sure I understand. You want to account calls to PSTN, is that
what you wish to achieve?

- why can't you account to the accounting system from the gateway
  -- I think of gateways as a very good place for accounting --
  they know everything about a call, including the PSTN side and
  media status; they are thus in better shape to account than a proxy is
- what do you mean by rewriting identities? are you thinking of
  a proxy which authenticates incoming requests from upstream
  and authenticates to downstream gateway as someone else? why?
- what accounting mechanims would you like to use? radius?

Or am I guessing completely wrong and you mean you wish to have
the ability to replace a native sip user name "john.doe" with "his"
phone number 1234, so that the gateway sees "1234" as username and
can propagate it to PSTN?

>How do people handle this situation?  Is it wise to put all functionality
>for user handling and incoming call handling and forwarding to another
>place in the same SER server?

I guess I need to understand better all the things above to answer.

Cheers,

-Jiri