[Serusers] problem with compiling

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Apr 7 14:09:33 CEST 2003

On Apr 07, 2003 at 12:23, Yang Xiang <yang.xiang at iitb.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Hi Andrei,
>
> after installed gmake 8.0 it gets compiled! However several errors appear
> while installing.
>
> 1. /bin/sh: test: argument expected
>     In Makefile line 173:  if [ ! -e $(cfg-prefix)/$(cfg-dir)ser.cfg ]; then
> \
> sh doesn't accept the option "-e". After changed this to "-f" it works.

Thanks, fixed on cvs.

> 2. make: ginstall: Command not found
> Makefile.defs line 70:
> -------------------------
> ifeq ($(OS), solaris)
> #use GNU versions
> INSTALL = ginstall
> TAR = gtar
> else
> ------------------------
> On my mashine I only have installed gnu install, so its name is just install
> instead of ginstall. After changed this it works.

Well I don't want to write tests to see which *install/*tar is the gnu one
(one my machines install is from solaris & ginstall is GNU). I already
do this for ld & the version of ld gcc uses and I don't want to do it
for each and every tool that might differ.
What I did is now (latest cvs)  INSTALL & TAR can be set  in the
environment and the values there will take precedence.

e.g:
 (solaris machine)

export INSTALL=install
make install  #will use install

make install  # without INSTALL in the env => will use ginstall

TAR=star make tar # will use star

make tar TAR=star # the same thing as above

> 3. install -m 755 ser /usr/local/ser/sbin/
>     find: cannot follow symbolic link /lib/locale/C/LC_MESSAGES/iscan: No
> such file or directory
>     find: cannot follow symbolic link /lib/locale/POSIX/LC_MESSAGES/iscan:
> No such file or directory
>     find: cannot follow symbolic link /usr/lib/locale/C/LC_MESSAGES/iscan:
> No such file or directory
>     find: cannot follow symbolic link
> /usr/lib/locale/POSIX/LC_MESSAGES/iscan: No such file or directory
>     install: ser was not found anywhere!
>     make: *** [install-bin] Error 2
>
> I have no idea how to fix it. Why do we need iscan? The symbolic link

I don't need it. Probably install wants to use it for some reason.

Andrei