[OpenSER-Docs] towards a openser guide

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Fri Mar 7 13:47:08 CET 2008

Hi all,

the module docs conversion from SGML to docbook-xml is currently in the works,
and the devel module documentation looks already cleaner after the removal of
most of the FAQ and devel parts.

Perhaps we can now gather some ideas for a openser guide.

There a exists a few (probably well known) documents, that were created with a
somewhat similiar purpose, albeit they are really outdated now:

- the old SER getting started guide
http://siprouter.onsip.org/doc/gettingstarted/

- the IP telephony cookbook
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~prelle/terena/cookbook/main/index.html

Adam Linford started some time ago a new (more up to date) guide for the
project, available at: http://openser.oralnet.co.uk/ . Perhaps this can be
used (with his permission, as a starting point? Some parts of the SER getting
started guide can perhaps also used, after review and editing, however i
don't know what copyright this content has.

I think the target audience of the planned guide are newcomers without any
previous experience with the server. So it should be start with a description
of the basics, and then cover step by step more complex topics, like the
previous guides.

What do you think?

Henning