[OpenSER-Docs] towards a openser guide

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:01:53 CET 2008

Hello,

On 03/07/08 14:47, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the module docs conversion from SGML to docbook-xml is currently in the works,
> and the devel module documentation looks already cleaner after the removal of
> most of the FAQ and devel parts.
>
> Perhaps we can now gather some ideas for a openser guide.

sorry for introducing back the FAQ for modules, I should have read the
mailing list even I was over the head deep in the sgml-to-xml migration.

> There a exists a few (probably well known) documents, that were created with a
> somewhat similiar purpose, albeit they are really outdated now:
>
> - the old SER getting started guide
> http://siprouter.onsip.org/doc/gettingstarted/
>
> - the IP telephony cookbook
> http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~prelle/terena/cookbook/main/index.html
>
> Adam Linford started some time ago a new (more up to date) guide for the
> project, available at: http://openser.oralnet.co.uk/ . Perhaps this can be
> used (with his permission, as a starting point? Some parts of the SER getting
> started guide can perhaps also used, after review and editing, however i
> don't know what copyright this content has.
>
> I think the target audience of the planned guide are newcomers without any
> previous experience with the server. So it should be start with a description
> of the basics, and then cover step by step more complex topics, like the
> previous guides.
>
> What do you think?

I will go with Adam's document. I think the first part should be
re-done, we do not need now much ser-openser clarification. We can go
directly to openser.

Now, after doing the initial reshaping, should we move it to openser
repository or keep it on Adam's repository for a while, until it gets to
a good content? Adam can grant svn access to any contributor (I think, I
will talk with him).