[sr-dev] Releasing Kamailio v5.0.8

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 21:56:43 CEST 2019

Hello,

On 02.04.19 19:33, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 2. April 2019, 09:16:37 CEST schrieb Daniel-Constantin Mierla:
> (removed sr-users)
>
>> I am considering to release v5.0.8 to mark the end of official
>> maintenance for branch 5.0 on Thursday, April 4. If no major regression
>> will be introduced, this will be the last release from branch 5.0.
>> Afterwards, the stable branches maintained will be 5.1 and 5.2.
>>
>> In case you have in mind some specific commits that should get into 5.0
>> branch, then reply and list them to be sure they are not missed.
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I thought 5.0 is already end of life, I only backported relevant fixes to the
> last two current stable branches (5.1 and 5.2). This was at least my
> understanding of our policy.
>
> 5.0.7 was released almost 10 month ago, the last commit on 5.0 branch was end
> of 2018.

when a branch goes out of official maintenance time frame, we make a
last release from that branch to mark it explicitly (after the release
of a newer branch is done).

The release of 5.2.x made 5.0 "ready" for end of maintenance, but we
didn't get the time to do the last 5.0.x. So, while is indeed somehow
late, it has to be done.

On the other hand, lately each of these stable series got like 2 years
of maintenance, see also the discussion minutes on wiki from the last
IRC devel meeting. However, the last release in a stable branch was more
just a packaging from what that branch was at that moment, with just
critical issues backported, no much efforts put in it, because everyone
is advise to upgrade, being EoL anyhow.

Specifically in this case, branch 5.0 has 44 commits pushed since
release of 5.0.7, so doing the 5.0.8 should at least catch those.
Tomorrow I will do a review and see what else worth pushing there.

Kamailio World Conference - May 6-8, 2019 -- www.kamailioworld.com