[sr-dev] Releasing Kamailio v5.0.8

Henning Westerholt hw at skalatan.de
Tue Apr 2 22:23:36 CEST 2019

Am Dienstag, 2. April 2019, 21:56:43 CEST schrieb Daniel-Constantin Mierla:
> > Am Dienstag, 2. April 2019, 09:16:37 CEST schrieb Daniel-Constantin
> > Mierla:
> > (removed sr-users)
> >
> >> I am considering to release v5.0.8 to mark the end of official
> >> maintenance for branch 5.0 on Thursday, April 4. If no major regression
> >> will be introduced, this will be the last release from branch 5.0.
> >> Afterwards, the stable branches maintained will be 5.1 and 5.2.
> >>
> >> In case you have in mind some specific commits that should get into 5.0
> >> branch, then reply and list them to be sure they are not missed.
> >
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > I thought 5.0 is already end of life, I only backported relevant fixes to
> > the last two current stable branches (5.1 and 5.2). This was at least my
> > understanding of our policy.
> >
> > 5.0.7 was released almost 10 month ago, the last commit on 5.0 branch was
> > end of 2018.
>
> when a branch goes out of official maintenance time frame, we make a
> last release from that branch to mark it explicitly (after the release
> of a newer branch is done).

Hi Daniel,

yes, I have read the IRC discussion from the last devel meeting about this
topic. We could probably document it a bit more, I found only some summary on
the old wiki about that policy.

> The release of 5.2.x made 5.0 "ready" for end of maintenance, but we
> didn't get the time to do the last 5.0.x. So, while is indeed somehow
> late, it has to be done.
>
> On the other hand, lately each of these stable series got like 2 years
> of maintenance, see also the discussion minutes on wiki from the last
> IRC devel meeting. However, the last release in a stable branch was more
> just a packaging from what that branch was at that moment, with just
> critical issues backported, no much efforts put in it, because everyone
> is advise to upgrade, being EoL anyhow.
>
> Specifically in this case, branch 5.0 has 44 commits pushed since
> release of 5.0.7, so doing the 5.0.8 should at least catch those.
> Tomorrow I will do a review and see what else worth pushing there.

I will have also a look, there are a few patches that are more important then
others and I will try to cherry-pick those into 5.0.

Cheers,

Henning
Kamailio services - https://skalatan.de/services