[sr-dev] reSIProcate/repro proxy and Kamailio

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Fri Aug 10 18:13:47 CEST 2012

On 07/08/12 05:46, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Personally, I would say that it is not in the interest of the project to scatter focus away from itself, while further confusing newbies and in general making the "marketing message" less coherent.

This is not a universal truth

Promoting a conflicting technology (e.g. Viber or Skype) would not help
Kamailio very much

However, competitors can work together constructively.  The closest
person to Mr Bolt in the 100m and 200m this week was his training
partner, Yohan Blake.  Is there anyone on this mailing list who would
NOT like to whitewash the world with open source, open standards based
SIP proxies in the way Jamaica whitewashed the gold, silver and bronze
for 200m last night?

> That effort would be better spent on making Kamailio more user-friendly and/or easily deployable for trivial scenarios and small-scale, narrow purposes--if that's a priority for the project. Whether it even should be a priority deserves some rational discussion, since that may not be where Kamailio is strongest, just by design. The goal of a project should be to try to succeed in the game most appropriate for its character, and one which best aligns with the vision behind it.

Not necessarily, should Kamailio developers really spend time on things
like:

- making an MSI package for Windows users?

- making a built-in admin web server?

In fact, with built in web server and Berkeley DB support, repro is
fully self-contained and could even run on a router.

These are just some of the unique features of repro that are maybe very
low on the priority list for Kamailio, but they are important for a
world of federated SIP servers

I've put up a guide here with some config samples and screenshots, I'd
actually like to adapt this to have a Kamailio equivalent of the same guide

  http://www.opentelecoms.org/federated-voip-quick-start-howto

and any feedback would be really welcome