[sr-dev] reSIProcate/repro proxy and Kamailio

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Sun Aug 12 15:50:57 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 08/10/2012 06:13 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Not necessarily, should Kamailio developers really spend time on things
> like:
>
> - making an MSI package for Windows users?
>
> - making a built-in admin web server?
>
> In fact, with built in web server and Berkeley DB support, repro is
> fully self-contained and could even run on a router.
>
> These are just some of the unique features of repro that are maybe very
> low on the priority list for Kamailio, but they are important for a
> world of federated SIP servers

These things already exist for a long time on top of Kamailio, e.g.
http://www.sipwise.com/products/spce/

It's of no real interest for the Kamailio project itself, because
Kamailio focuses on providing a highly flexible and performant SIP
routing engine. The "real" applications are provided at a higher level.
Pretty much the same as with Apache or Nginx providing the web server,
which don't do anything useful by themselves, but shine when people
write their own applications on top of it, served by these components.

> I've put up a guide here with some config samples and screenshots, I'd
> actually like to adapt this to have a Kamailio equivalent of the same guide
>
>   http://www.opentelecoms.org/federated-voip-quick-start-howto
>
> and any feedback would be really welcome

That's nice and important for the SIP landscape and everything, but how
is this of relevance for the Kamailio project? There are quite a couple
of open source SIP proxies or soft switches out there, and if they speak
proper SIP and adhere to the SIP related standards, they should be able
to play together nicely. So I don't get the idea of "advertising" repro
and kamailio together, as they are different and unrelated projects, and
the users can choose whatever suits them better.

Andreas