[sr-dev] kamailio gets frozen when rsyslog-mysql cannot send the SQL query

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) manwe at aholab.ehu.es
Thu Jul 29 08:59:39 CEST 2010

El Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:08:54 +0200
Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net> escribió:

> > But kamailio is never the only process running in a system. Other processes
> > as cron, a mta, ssh server (at least) run in the same machine. If syslog is
> > blocked, you might get a frozen system anyways. Almost every service relies
> > on syslog, which makes this solution incomplete.
>
> Sure, but anyway I don't care ssh, a mta (never running in my kamailio
> servers!) or cron (just to rotate logs, no more). If kamailio remains
> working that's what I need :)

What your're suggesting here is having queues in kamailio instead of having
them in syslog. You're trying to fix a syslog problem from kamailio side.

If syslog block because it's mesg buffer is full, kamailio will do what syslog
should do. This solution only works for kamailio, and you're in risk of getting
a frozen system anyways, no warranty of having a working kamailio.

Example: You have a cronjob every 5 minutes. This cronjob cannot finish because
of the unresponsive syslog. You'll get a new cron process every 5 minutes until
you no more processes can be called.

> Don't think in my suggestion just from the point of view of
> "reliability" but also think in "efficience":

Ok. This is a different point of view. That "efficience" word should now
trigger an "Andrei respawn" :)