[sr-dev] kamailio gets frozen when rsyslog-mysql cannot send the SQL query

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Thu Jul 29 00:08:54 CEST 2010

2010/7/28 Jon Bonilla <manwe at aholab.ehu.es>:
> I do not know from the programmer point of view if this approach is feasible.

I've coded a very similar solution for a personal project and works
really well under scenarios with high traffic so I consider it
feasible, I just wonder if it's feasible from the current Kamailio
design point of view.

> But kamailio is never the only process running in a system. Other processes as
> cron, a mta, ssh server (at least) run in the same machine. If syslog is
> blocked, you might get a frozen system anyways. Almost every service relies on
> syslog, which makes this solution incomplete.

Sure, but anyway I don't care ssh, a mta (never running in my kamailio
servers!) or cron (just to rotate logs, no more). If kamailio remains
working that's what I need :)

> I think that the solution to this problem is in syslog's side. It's a critical
> service in any system and this solution would just mask the problem.

Don't think in my suggestion just from the point of view of
"reliability" but also think in "efficience":

Currently a kamailio worker must wait for the syslog() call to return
before continuing processing the SIP message (blocking design). Using
a posix queue the worker sends the log to it which is not a blocking
call. Just the kamailio syslogger process should have to deal with
syslog daemon.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo