[SR-Dev] what to do if function names differ?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:59:23 CEST 2009

Hello,

On 04/21/2009 11:39 AM, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 April 2009, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>
>> if we wait for something perfect, then we will fail. This is open source
>> and as soon as we get community involved, the project evolves much
>> better. Couple of us worked full time for the past two months to get the
>> modules integrated. This cannot last for too long time and I prefer to
>> get out with something that is not that perfect, but in this way get
>> more potential work force.
>>

> Hi Daniel,
>
> i agree. But then we should communicate this correctly. Instead of announcing
> something that is almost done,
I am not sure what you think the announcement would be, so I cannot comment.

What is almost done? I want to tell people that they can start playing
with sip-router and K modules are there. In this way we learn what are
the most used parts and make them work quicker. There is still lot of
work to do, in regard to MI, statistics, additional processes. I prefer
to work on something people use, rather than doing blind coding. I am
not using most of the modules out there, therefore I am not able to test
them properly.

Somehow I feel you think about a release -- we are far from there.

>  we need to point out clearly the areas where
> issues exists, and also providing pointers where help is really appreciated.

Are you happy with K documentation? Well, main page of kamailio.org has
in bottom right corner a poll, it is there for quire some time. Guess
what community think needs to be improved. Documentation will never be
satisfactory for everybody, but it grows with the number of people using
the application.

>> Nobody will get a penny for digging up and write documentation.
>>

> Well, my employee also pays me to do work at the documentation (in kamailio so
> far). So it seems that some people did care in this areas too. If this is a
> capacity or resource problem with regards to some developing efforts, perhaps
> one of the (bigger) companies involved here can think about hiring a
> technical writer?
I think there are companies that paid full time developers in the last
months for the integration work. If there are other companies willing to
fund, they are more than welcome.

>  Just an idea. :-)
>

>> From
>> past experience, docs achievements in openser was done with large
>> contribution of the community. From the group involved now, there are
>> not so many that contributed to the wiki or the rest of docs resources
>> so far, therefore we need more to help here.
>>

> The basic foundation were not done from the community IMHO,

I think all modules have docs, but not all up to date. The foundation is
there, take a module, digg the sources and add what is missing in the
readme. Even simply listing the functions and parameters to docbook with
the note: "Needs content" is a step forward and great help. It is pretty
simple to get out of mod interface:
- parameter name and type
- function name, number of parameters, where it can be used
- name for exported PV, MI/RPC commands, ...

Others can come latter and complete.

http://www.asipto.com/