[SR-Dev] git:master: Merge ssh://git.sip-router.org/sip-router into my_branch

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Mon Nov 24 20:58:48 CET 2008

On Nov 24, 2008 at 20:30, Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de> wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2008, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> > [..]
> > >  Merge commit 'origin/henning/trie' into master
> > >
> > >  * commit 'origin/henning/trie':
> > >    add trie to library directory
> > >    add SHM_MEM_ERROR and PKG_MEM_ERROR logging macros to mem.h
> > >

> > > Henning did you forgot to set  merge log to true in your git config
> > >  (~/.gitconfig or per repository in  .git/config)?
> > > ( git config --get  merge.log  # to see it's value
> > >   git config --global merge.log true  # to set it to true)
> >
> > Hi Andrei,
> >
> > i'm still trying to wrap my head around this git. ;-) Aparently this merged
> > the content from the henning/trie branch into the trunk, the operation i
> > wanted to do. But i don't understand the log message, 'my_branch' is a
> > local branch on my machine, not sure why this show up, and it should be
> > also the other way round. And the diff for the revision is also the other
> > way round.
> >
> > Perhaps i just did it the wrong way. :-/
> >
> > henning at ca:~/projects/openser/sip-router$ git config --get  merge.log
> > true
> >
> > Perhaps it make sense to revert this commit?
>
> Andrei,
>
> if i take a look at git diff for this revision i get a bunch of completely
> unrelated changes. This is not good.

git diff  7e69be0 origin/master

shows me only lib/trie addition, and 2 mem/mem.h macros
(PKG_MEM_ERROR and SHM_MEM_ERROR).

7e69be0 is the shor form of 7e69be0441a98653ea0d94c831f64a2947aa4fff
 which is the previous commit on master branch (git log  or git log -2).

Did you updated from the repo before trying git diff (or else you don't
have the latest version)? (git fetch origin)

> I tried of course
> with '--dry-run --verbose' to check the changes before the commit, but this
> don't showed anything useful.

The problem was with git merge.
Anyway the best way is that before  git push-ing you should look
 at the branch tree (gitk) and/or at the log (git log). If it looks ok
 then git push ....
(that's because is much easier to revert changes locally)

> This 'git push' also don't asked me for
> confirmation of my changes, and the git diff or git status i tried before
> pushing also don't showed anything. From the usability POV i think git still
They didn't show anything because it was ok (the code is ok), only the
 merge message is wrong.

> has some way to go. ;)
>
> So what is the correct revision that needs to be reverted?
>
> from git log mem/mem.h: f34610e3ec970664efab940592dd2cbd0f48260b
> from the commit mail: 8d41196809f014e00346785b6517bd2c4051901a

Maybe I've got you wrong: do you want to revert the mem.h changes? the
merge log commit message? the whole merge?

Andrei